Reading Reflection #2
How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams
1)What was the general theme or argument of the book?
The main theme throughout this book is just to look at life or professionally your success and failures in a different point of view. Adam believes by living this way or seeing this way it will allow you to see that those failures are what led to your success.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
I think there is a huge connection between what I am learning in ENT 3003 and the book I read, one reason being we discussed that most entrepreneur start off with failure becoming successful. This is a big part of what the book was about, trying to teach us to see situations in a different lighting. I think this book is a perfect reputation of a entrepreneur, someone who gets knocked but sees these failures as stepping stones in creating a masterful business plan.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
I would probably have to ask the students to make a list of their biggest failures and success, then after they have that list ranked put the date of the failure or accomplishment next to it. After you have done this analyze if you have failed mostly before you began to succeed, if you have thats perfect you are just going through the process. Based on the book I think the students would see an exact correlation between the two.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
I believe that majority of the book was a 'aha' moment for men, the way he talked about seeing life is truly unique, only a very wise person can realize and accept failure in order to succeed. I don't think it differed from many other lessons about failure, he was just able to talk about appreciating failure more than resenting it though.
Hi Austin,
ReplyDeleteThis book sounded very interesting based off of your reflection. I also agree that the only way to improve is to look upon past failures and use it as a driver towards success. I also think that the exercise you created would be very helpful for this class. Looking at past failures/successes in your life could be a great way to focus on future events. I look forward to reading this book in the future as your descriptions of it made it sound very interesting.
Hey Austin,
ReplyDeleteI agree with the book's message that past failures can be used as motivation towards future success. Failure provides a learning experience that you can analyze what went wrong and what can be fixed to ensure you can win in the long run. Your exercise idea what be great for this course because anybody can look back at a time they failed at something and learn a different perspective in order to achieve success later on.
Austin,
ReplyDeleteI am interested to read this book based off your reflection as I agree in that this perspective is not a typical one. I think you did a good job relating the theme of Adams' book to this course. It directly correlates to information given in past lectures and the importance of failing as an entrepreneur. I also liked the exercise idea you laid out and think it would really help students reflect on their past failures and emphasize the positives of it despite the negative association commonly used.