Thursday, February 27, 2020

13A – Reading Reflection No. 1


Reading Reflection No. 1


The Wright Brothers, by David McCullough 

1.) I think the want surprised me most when reading this autobiography was the fact that the Wright brothers had no real startup capital or any connections to try and get money. This is a common problem most successful entrepreneur go through when first starting up a company or idea. I admire their courage to fly something that could end in a fatal accident, at a time that this had never been done. Says a lot about them as people that they had enough confidence in themselves to test this equipment. I feel the fact they were brothers caused a lot of conflict by them pushing each other a little too much sometimes making it an unhealthy relationship. Even after mentioning all the obstacle they had to overcome, The Wright brothers ended up in the history books as making the successfully people to take flight. 

2) They were patient even when they failed at first, they never quit, even though it was a very complex task that took a very long time to perfect. I think this shows some character considering that they were able to successfully fly a plane during this time period.

3.) I would probably say they what confused me most during reading this autobiography is when the brothers were planning to attend college but at the same time had no money to pay for it. Also, with such intelligent young men I am confused to the reasoning behind why his family was so poor, what were there occupations?

4.) If I were able to ask the Wright Brothers two questions it would have to be, when did this idea that you wanted to fly an airplane come about? I would also like to ask them how they were able to learn about all the physics and what not coming from such a poor family and background.

5.) I think their opinion of hard work is that they were not going to stop trying to fly a plane until they either died trying or they successfully flew a plane like they did.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Austin,

    I really enjoyed reading your analysis of the Wright Brothers autobiography. I liked how you talked about the fact that they did not have much capital to use when they first set out to create an airplane. Many successful entrepreneurs have money to invest in themselves and their own idea. Also, I liked how you mentioned how their unhealthy relationship stemmed from competition and pushing each other. I think that the idea of competition is not entirely bad if one can find a middle ground, however, it is obvious that they took it to the extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Austin,

    I enjoyed reading your analysis as I was also interested in reading the Wright Brothers autobiography. I think the Wright brothers' confidence in themselves and their business is extremely inspiring in the aspect of this course. I also think it's really impressive that they were able to build such an impactful industry together as brothers, as working with family can often be difficult. I would also ask the Wright brothers the question you mentioned regarding the physics of flying, as they came from a poor background and did not get a valuable education to learn.

    ReplyDelete

27A- Reading Reflection No.3

Reading Reflection No.3 Thinking Fast and Slow- Daniel Kahneman For book reflection number 3 I deiced to read “Thinking Fast and Slo...